If you have a flea or tick problem, what do you do? The best form of flea and tick control is to prevent them in the first place. This makes it important to know how to look for the signs of the pests, as well as how to check for them on your pets or in your home. Some of the common ways to get rid of an infestation include cleaning your home and taking your pets to the vet.
Keep reading for Bug Out‘s advice on how to prevent fleas and ticks in your North Carolina home or business.
5 Tips to Prevent Fleas & Ticks
These pests are a nuisance, but they can be easily prevented if you take certain precautions. To prevent fleas & ticks, try these common tips:
- Wear protective clothing: When venturing into areas with a lot of vegetation or tall grass, make sure to keep bare skin to a minimum to avoid ticks.
- Use insect repellent: On areas of the skin that are still exposed, it’s recommended to use an insect spray containing at least 20% deet, as it can help deter ticks. Apply as directed by the manufacturer.
- Keep a tidy yard: Ticks and fleas love to seek shelter in areas with a lot of vegetation, even in your own backyard. Trim your grass, prune your shrubs and bushes, and remove piles of wood or other debris to keep parasitic insects away.
- Be cautious when hiking: If you’re walking or hiking in wooded areas or spots with a lot of vegetation, try to stay in the center of the trail. Avoid stepping through areas of tall grass or unkempt vegetation, where ticks could be hiding.
- Prevent wildlife problems: Raccoons, opossums, deer, coyotes, foxes, bobcats, and skunks can all carry fleas or ticks and deposit flea eggs and larvae into your yard.
Need a Flea or Tick Control Estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
Flea and Tick Prevention
To keep your home, family, and pets safe from parasitic insects, it’s important to learn what you can do to prevent fleas and ticks from getting inside:
- Take your pets to your veterinarian. Flea control products can safeguard your cats and dogs from fleas, which will effectively keep them out of your home!
- Wash all bedding frequently. If you suspect a flea may have gotten inside your property, run your pet’s bedding, laundry, sheets, and more through a hot wash.
- Clean and vacuum thoroughly. Vacuum all areas of the home including upholstery. Carefully dispose of vacuum bags.
Protection Against Fleas & Ticks in North Carolina
If you have fleas or ticks in your home, it can be very distressing for your entire family. This makes it important to learn how to prevent fleas & ticks in the first place. For help or advice on keeping these parasitic insects away, contact the experts at Bug Out today!Back to Flea and Tick Exterminators – Control – Removal