Flies are some of the most annoying pests that we deal with here in North Carolina. Just one inside the house can be a nuisance, and the constant buzzing only multiplies once flies find a reason to hang around on your property.
If you’re looking to learn how to keep flies away, you’ve come to the right place. Our fly exterminators have given us some informed advice for people wondering why flies are always in their house and what they can do to stop them from coming in. Read on to learn!
What Attracts Flies Inside?
Flies thrive around decay, so keeping the inside of your home fresh and clean is the overarching theme around fly control. Here are a few ways that you can do this:
- Store food properly: Flies are especially attracted to meats, fruits, and sugary substances. After eating, make sure that you properly seal off and stow away your food.
- Cover your garbage cans: Flies love to hang around our garbage cans and scavenge for food inside. Consider keeping a lid on your trash can, and make sure to always take your trash outside before it gets too full.
- Clean up spills: Crumbs and spilled liquid can go unnoticed until flies start to find them. Make sure to clean up any spilled food or drink promptly to avoid a fly outbreak.
Need a Fly Control Estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
DIY Fly Prevention
If you’ve tidied up your home and are still dealing with flies, there might be some unknown issue that is attracting them from outside. You can try these DIY fly prevention approaches to keep them outdoors and out of your house:
- Citronella candles: Citronella oil is most popularly used to prevent mosquitoes, but has been known to work against all sorts of flying insects.
- Essential oil spray: You can mix essential oils like peppermint oil, basil oil, or rosemary oil with a carrier oil and apple cider vinegar to create a spray that will deter flies.
- Flypaper: To make flypaper, slice up a brown paper bag into strips. Bring equal parts corn syrup and water to a boil, then remove from the heat. Soak the paper strips in the mixture for four hours, then let them dry. Hang them up where flies are bothering you and you should catch some!
How to Keep Flies Away in North Carolina
The best way to keep flies away is to leave the work to your local pest control company. Experienced technicians like the ones at Bug Out can identify vulnerable areas on your property that you wouldn’t know to look for or be able to find. Our fly control experts know all of the common fly issues that our North Carolina customers face and have developed strategies to resolve them quickly and efficiently. Contact us today for a free quote!